Protein in Food
- Show knowledge and understanding of the structure and properties of protein
- Show knowledge and understanding of how protein tests work
Theory Presentations/Assessment - Protein in Food
- What is Protein?
- Amino Acids
- Peptide Bonds
- Polypeptides and Proteins
- Protein Structure
- Protein Properties
- Protein Classification
- Importance of Protein in Food
- Sources of Protein
- Testing Foods for Protein: The Biuret Test
- How the Protein Test Works
- Positive and Negative Results
- What Can Go Wrong?
- Regulating Foods
- Allergy Information
Activity - Identification of Protein in Food
- Students carry out the Biuret test on some food samples. Distilled water and protein suspension are used as controls.