Materials and Processes
Students explore the world of manufacturing, based around a series of exciting hands-on projects involving injection moulding of thermoplastics. A simulated industrial scale plastics injection moulder allows teachers and students to investigate the operation of a large scale injection moulder. The module also includes V-MAT, our unique PC-based virtual materials test lab which allows students to test a wide range of engineering materials using standardized tests such as the Izod Impact Test or Brinell Hardness Test.
Topic areas include:
- Material Properties
- Testing Properties of Materials
- Injection Molding
- Tools and Fabrication
- Suitable Product Material
- Waste, Recycling and Cost
- Problem Solving – Door Knob
- Investigate how plastics, woods and metals can be processed into spoons.
- Research smart materials.
- Investigate the molding process.
- Measure the thermal characteristics of metals, plastics, woods and composites.
- Measure the hardness, impact and tensile strengths of materials.
- Investigate the causes of mold flash and shrinkage.
- Research tools and fabrication processes used in manufacturing.
- Select suitable materials for use in electrical cables.
Compare the costs of differently designed molded parts.
- Design, prototype, test and evaluate a door knob.
Items supplied with ST350 ETP include:
- Thermoplastic granules
- Materials & Processes accessory kit
- Model door
- Curriculum CD containing:
on-screen student learning material
on-screen instructor resources
Instructor Guide (printable)
How to Order
|Product:||Materials and Processes|