- Show knowledge and understanding of the concepts of relative atomic mass, relative molecular mass, the Avogadro constant (L) and moles
- Use the formula moles = mass / Mr to calculate reacting masses of reactants and masses of products formed from numbers of moles (and vice versa)
- Balance chemical and ionic equations and find the empirical formulae of substances from their relative molecular masses and molar ratios
- Investigate stoichiometric ratios
Theory Presentations/Assessment - Stoichiometry 1
- Chemical Equations
- Atomic and Molecular Mass
- The Avogadro Constant
- Calculating Molar Mass
- Empirical and Molecular Formulae
- Balancing Equations
- Calculating Reacting Masses
Activity - Stoichiometric Ratio: Displacement between Iron and Copper (II) Sulfate
- Students use the chemistry set and a number of chemicals to establish which of two alternative equations is correct for the reaction between iron powder and copper (II) sulfate solution.
Activity - Stoichiometric Ratio: Decomposition of Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate
- Students use the chemistry set to determine the ration of reactants to products in the decomposition reaction of sodium hydrogen carbonate in the presence of direct heat.