Propagation of Sound
- Show knowledge and understanding of the similarities and differences between mechanical and electromagnetic waves
- Show knowledge and understanding of some wave properties
Theory Presentations/Assessment - Propagation of Sound
- Types of Wave
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Transverse Waves
- Longitudinal Waves
- Sound Waves
- Speed of Sound Waves
- Properties of Sound Waves
- Combining Sound Waves
Activity - Transverse and Longitudinal Waves
- Students use a slinky and a tuning fork to observe sound causing vibrations and examine the differences between a transverse wave and a longitudinal wave.
Activity - Measuring the Speed of Sound
- Students will use two sound level sensors, a datalogger and dataLOG software to measure the speed of sound in air.